spark & ruin: anatomy of a flame, curated by 1of1 magazine, is currently on view at Helikon Gallery and Studios through February 24th, 2015. We asked owner and publisher of 1of1 Magazine, Jarred De Palo, to participate in our 20 Questions interview; read his answers below.
1) What is your earliest memory?
Enjoying time with the one and only Teresa De Palo
2) What type of art did you create as a child?
Trapper Keeper art.
3) Do you have other artists in your family?
4) Are you “traditionally educated” or “self-taught?”
Both. I went to The Art Institute of Colorado, and [did] a lot of trial and error.
5) What artist has been most influential to you?
Swoon, Cope, Picasso, Revs, Ian Kuali’i.
6) Is there a subject you visit in your art more often than not?
7) What non-art objects fill your studio space?
8) At what moment did you decide that you were going to pursue art as a career?
When I ate my first crayon.
9) Does your art support you or do you have a “day job?”
I am The Inked Realtor.
10) What is your least favorite art buzzword?
11) Outside of the craft you are known for, are there any other art endeavors you pursue?
The art of Hunting Octopus.
12) Do you have any irrational fears?
13) Are there any scientific theories that fascinate you?
People would love to know!!!
14) Is there one album or one musician/band that you are constantly enthralled by?
15) Do you find yourself more energized by the time you spend alone or with others?
By far with others.
16) What is the most interesting dream you can recall?
Being eaten by king kong but he has a fan for a mouth?
17) Any guilty pleasures?
18) If you could travel to any place on Earth tomorrow, where would you land?
19) Where do you currently live and how did you come to reside here?
20) What is something most people don’t know about you?
I have a Wu-Tang tattoo inside my mouth!